Practice History

A Brief History of the Wilson Practice

In 1948, Dr Tom Wilson grew tired of working in Wolverhampton and decided to move to the South coast. He passed through Alton and was so enchanted that he went no further - he bought the practice from   Dr Currer Williams and set up shop in The Ivy House in Butts Road and later moved to 10, High Street. Tom Wilson was briefly in partnership with his brother James and later with Alan Goode who split off to form his own one-man band at Cobbers (the site for the Cooperage).

When Tom’s son, Morton, qualified he joined his father in practice in 1962 and they worked together until Tom’s death in 1964. Morton ran the practice single-handed for a short while before taking on first Dr Christopher Everett (who has now retired and lives in Holybourne) and then Dr Peter Gladders (who sadly died in 1980).

In 1974 the long planned and awaited Health Centre was completed. Morton re-amalgamated with Alan Goode, who was about to retire, and took on Dr Hugh Bethell to replace him. The combined practices moved into the new Centre which they shared with Dr John Tomlinson and Dr James Willis who were then in practice together but were later to split into separate practices.

In 1976, feeling the increase in workload, the practice increased from four to four and a half partners by taking on Morton Wilson’s wife, Dr Ann Simpson, as a part timer. After Peter Gladders’ untimely death in 1980 he was replaced by Dr Phil Cunliffe who stayed for 6 years before leaving to set up with his wife, Dr Sandra Myers. Another replacement was sought - and was found in the form of Dr Michael Hayward who arrived in Alton in 1986.

There followed a period of relative stability until 1995 when Christopher Everett and Morton Wilson both reduced their commitments to half time. Dr Jane Peckham joined the partnership to take on their workload. At the end of the same year, Ann Simpson, who had received a heart transplant in 1986, became too ill to continue working. She retired and died the following year. Her place was taken by Dr Alison Rickard.

By 1997 the practice was again feeling the strain of the gradually increasing demands of general practice and took on Dr Sally Louden as a half time partner. Christopher Everett retired the following April but in August 1998 tragedy struck when Morton Wilson died suddenly and unexpectedly. Christopher returned to help the practice out until a new partner could be appointed. This was done in January 1999 in the form of Dr Andrew Fellows.

Dr Hugh Bethell retired in 2002 to be replaced by Dr Russell Swart.

In 2003 the Wilson practice and the "Green" practice of Drs Hopwood and Dobbie amalgamated to create an eight partnered, 6.5 full time equivalent doctor practice.

More recently, in 2011, Dr Dobbie left the partnership when she moved away from the area, and Dr Hayward retired in June 2012, being replaced as  partner by Dr Oliver Kemp.  Dr Hopwood retired in the spring of 2015;  Dr Mark Longley joined the partnership at that time. In September 2016 Dr Swart left the partnership.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website