out of hours


Last Updated: 28.03.2022


How do I get emergency help?

For chest pain, major bleeding, loss of consciousness or difficulty breathing dial 999.

Major injuries such as head injuries and broken bones should go to an Accident and Emergency Department at one of the local hospitals in Basingstoke, Frimley, Guildford and Winchester.  Alton Community Hospital does not have an Accident and Emergency Department.  NHS 111 (tel: 111) can offer phone advice at all times, and may save you a trip to a doctor or hospital

At the surgery: during core hours (Mon-Fri 8am - 6:30pm)

Our phone system offers "press 9 for emergencies". This is for casualties and urgent medical care that does not require hospital A&E facilities and should be answered quickly. The receptionist who answers your call is not medically qualified; she will put you through to a GP who will decide with you what needs to be done. If you can get to the Health Centre we will always see emergencies as a priority. If you cannot get to us, we will try to get to you; we always have a Rapid Access doctor able to visit at short notice. Please only use this service if it is truly an emergency - 'crying wolf' could take us away from a real emergency.

When we are closed

When the surgery is closed and you require urgent medical assistance which cannot wait until the surgery re-opens, call 1-1-1. Calls to the NHS111 service are free from both landlines and mobiles.

NHS111 will take details from you and signpost to the most appropriate care given your condition. This could include providing contact with the out-of-hours GP service, advice on self-care or to visit a pharmacy, or to make a routine or next-day appointment with a GP.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website